so long dear hairbrush



This event was so traumatic it took precedence over all other un-blogged events, including Cameron's first day of first grade.

Women & girls know the significance of a hairbrush. Hairbrushes become loyal companions that matter more than all other beauty products. If I go on vacation without it, it's almost enough to ruin the vacation because it automatically ensures bad hair days for the duration of the separation.



My hairbrush has dutifully served me these last 12+ years. Although it was falling apart I have refused to part with it. That was, until Miriam dropped it in the toilet. If it was still in it's youth I would desperately fight for a way to sterilize it. But given it's already pathetic state, I'm going to go ahead and call it a loss.

My only consolation is that it wasn't my iPhone she carelessly flung into the filthy waters of the porcelain throne. That is likely my only possession that would have been more painful to lose.

7 comments:

Laura said...

It's true! Hairbrushes are critical! You definitely would have a hard time sanitizing that one too...especially since all of those pores take in the fluid :)

Lorraine said...

I have our brown hairbrush from when we were little still. Gross? Maybe...

Anne said...

I can relate. I had a favorite brush from my highschool days that I took into my marriage. I nearly cried when I discovered it was left during our last visit to the YMCA and the janitor had thrown it out. It was a Hair Defense brand and isn't made anymore.

Wendy said...

Aren't kids fun? :-)

Sam and Lacey said...

I still use the same pick that my mom bought me when I was 8 years old and got my first perm. I think I will be so sad if something ever happens to it.

Julie Bird said...

Miriam strikes again! Faster than a speeding bullet....

Bryan said...

Lori you still have that brown hairbrush?! When I think of a female hairbrush, the image conjured in my mind is of that brown hairbrush. I saw it every day of my life for at least six years. But what fascinates me is that you still have it. Gross? Maybe, but pathological? Definitely.