the kids have it backwards

I have issues around here.



I have an 18-month-old who wants to do everything for herself. This would be wonderful except she is developmentally incapable of doing so. She wants to feed herself, she wants to put her own shoes on and she wants to brush her own hair. Not only is her independence hard to deal with, but when left unattended it can create chaos.



Contrast that with the four-year-old that lives here who refuses to do anything for himself. He wants me to do everything for him that he is developmentally capable of doing. He wants me to dress him, put his shoes on and he even eats better if I feed him. I try to explain that with two younger siblings I can't be his maidservant. It's not sinking in.


Fortunately I am lucky to have a totally compliant two-month-old who allows me to provide all things for him, and a competently independent six-year-old who can also be helpful when called upon.

5 comments:

meredith c. said...

i love that little miriam to pieces.

Alison said...

This made me laugh so hard! That was totally us last year. Travis was our problematically independent young toddler, Jamin was our capable yet needy 4-year-old, and Libby was our easy-going baby. We were just missing the completely independent 6-year-old. Too funny! As for the dynamic of the youngest three, it WILL get easier (or maybe just different).

Alison said...

This made me laugh so hard! That was totally us last year. Travis was our problematically independent young toddler, Jamin was our capable yet needy 4-year-old, and Libby was our easy-going baby. We were just missing the completely independent 6-year-old. Too funny! As for the dynamic of the youngest three, it WILL get easier (or maybe just different).

Gordon & Julie Bird Blog said...

Yes, thank goodness for those book ends! Your first born will always take care of you.
They are adorable kids:)

Laura said...

Oh Eli:) I just love his unique personality :)