Black Tie

Richard serves as the treasurer on the board of a local charity. They hold a fundraising gala every other year. Two years ago we attended as behind-the-scenes workers. We set-up, provided general assistance, and then ran the credit cards of high-rollers as they made donations or paid for the packages they won in the silent auction.

I felt like a little girl, admiring all the women in their beautiful gowns. I asked Richard if someday we would be able to attend as guests. He laughed a little and told me “Maybe.”

Well now he is on the board and he informed me a few days ago that we had two seats at a table at the event. We are going to be guests. I felt giddy and excited about dressing up and busting out these.

Then the invitation arrived. “Black Tie Event.” I realized this is way out of my league. I don’t feel old enough to attend something like this, and what is worse is that I know I don’t LOOK old enough.

Now I have a pit in my stomach and I worry that I will spend the entire evening feeling self-conscious and terribly out of place.

Not to mention I don’t drink alcohol, which I believe might be the only thing that could help me feel at ease.

And what am I going to wear?

10 comments:

Krista said...

I can loan you my zebra pants...oh wait...black tie. Nevermind.

Gordon & Julie Bird Blog said...

I've always wanted to go to fundsy. You can't go wrong with black and add something sequined, even a little scarf or something, or some glittery sliver.
You will look wonderful. The shoes are perfect.

Brock and Kristina said...

sweet!! fun! i agree. Black dress. Sexy. Dress it up with colored jewelery or glittery stuff. AND POST PICS!

J and Ris said...

Black is easy and very sexy! Then liven it up with some fun color or glittery stuff! Give Brooke a call and see what fun stuff she has. I'm jealous! That sounds like fun! Anything with your hubby has got to be great!

JoJo said...

I'm not trying to look sexy. Quite the opposite...

JoJo said...

I'm going for "mature". Are the shoes a bad idea?

Joleen said...

The shoes are perfect! I agree with Marisa- call Brooke!! :D

Laura said...

The shoes are perfect! And sexy isn't a bad thing...it's a fun time to be with Richard!

Brookie said...

haha...you can be sexy and mature:) and i would love to help you!! we could go shopping! i have to agree, black dress is classic but accent it with something pretty. Call me, we will talk and shop, i would love to help you get dressed up!!! that would be soooo fun!
xoxo

Kristi said...

I am doing this too! I have know about our dinner for weeks, and here it is in one week and I haven't even begun to shop for something to wear! I totally feel your stress... I am stressed too. Hope it goes well for you- do post pics!