I finished a book at last.

Strange is our situation here upon earth.  Each of us comes for a short visit, not knowing why, yet sometimes seeming to divine a purpose.  From the standpoint of daily life however, there is one thing we do know -- that man is here for the sake of other men.
-Albert Einstein

I finished the book.  In my own words, it's message: Society would have us believe that we find purpose and happiness in consumerism.  Earning, buying, getting.  But real purpose and happiness comes from service and close family relationships. 

I think I've always known that, but this book was a good reminder and a real-life example of a family who had a lot, and gave up a lot, and grew very close in the process. 

I declare myself inspired. 

Now maybe I can finish those other inspiring books that remain partially read.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Great wisdom Jo. As always, you offer great advice and an a much-needed listening ear.

Gordon & Julie Bird Blog said...

Sounds like a great book from what you said. I need to give it a read:)

Tisha said...

i like the summary of the book, sounds like a good one. the message is completely true. relationships and kindness and honesty are where it's at.
we need to get together this week or next week or both!!! i'll plan something and call you. this is all happening too fast . . .