Happy Birthday Simon


Miriam was only eight months old when I found out I was pregnant with Simon.  The idea took some getting used to.  Even in the first few weeks of his life Richard and I were still feeling like we weren't ready.  Now, he is a fixture around here, and a delightful one. 

On the night of his birthday a week ago, I lied in bed and couldn't believe it had been two years.  My baby is two years old! Yikes!

Simon is a character.  In the picture above he is doing his new, slightly neurotic, habit of picking at his lip with his fingers.  He does it when he's nervous or shy. 

He is still a snuggle-bug and will lay his head on my should when I go to get him up in the morning or after nap. Every night at family prayer Simon and Miriam fight over who gets to sit on my lap. 

He loves glasses/goggles and hats.  He puts them on whenever he finds them and wears them for hours. 

Eli was the original "Horrible Headwound Harry" but Simon has taken over and set new records. 

He loves puzzles. "Puzz!" He shouts at me all the time "Hep you!" (Which is actually what he says when he means "Help me!") He spends a lot of time on puzzles, which is a lifesaver at dinner time.

Up until recently Simon has always been totally content with a little attention.  With Simon, a little attention yields a giant reward.  But lately he's been a little more demanding.  He's starting to have some mini-meltdowns, which at this age are simply adorable.  Look at that face! Richard and I have discovered that a few minutes in his crib will cause him to forget what he was upset about and then when you go in to retrieve him he is just happy to have your attention again. 

He is a little thrill-seeker.  We took the kids sledding and Simon was by far the one who enjoyed it the most.  That might explain his perpetually bruised forehead. 

He loves playing with any of the siblings, and has no problem playing babies with Mim. 
 
Simon has done a fantastic job of consolidating the syllables in words and names.  Why say in three syllables what can be said in one or two? 
 
Misha (the dog)- "Sha"
Baca - Ga
Grandpa - Grum
Shoes On - Shon
I don't know - Ah-no
Eli- Yai
Cameron - Can
Miriam- Min
 
Simon is utterly adorable when he is not operating under the influence of his older sister.  And even then, when they are making me crazy with their mischeivous antics, I can't resist kissing his cheeks. 
 
So even though it sounds cliche, and even though we were unprepared and I still feel like I have never quite regained control of my life since he was born, I really really
 
really
 
couldn't imagine life without this little guy. 

No comments: