Les Miserables and bad timing

In ninth grade someone in my family bought the Broadway soundtrack to Les Miserables.  We listened to it all the time.  We were living in Virginia at the time and sometimes when I hear the songs I get nostalgic. 

Richard says that when we had our first "real" conversation on the phone, meaning not the first couple awkward "ask-you-out" phone conversations, I told him that Les Miserables was my favorite book.  It still is.  (If I can even say that, having only read the abridged version.)

So LAST fall when I found out that Les Mis was coming to Boise I jumped on board A.S.A.P! I bought our tickets, not even thinking to look at the BSU football schedule.  Fast forward one year and the I make the connection that our tickets to Les Mis are on the same night as the BSU v. BYU football game.  Oops. 

Richard and I love BSU.  We also love BYU.  But Richard reassured me that it wasn't a big deal.  That was, until three days before the game/play, we were offered tickets.  After a stressful hour of trying to figure out how we could see the play another night and still go to the game, we decided to just stick with the plan, we had pretty good seats and I didn't want to compromise my much anticipated experience.  Richard was still being a champ about it.

Then...

Then we were downtown, grabbing a bite to eat less than a block away from the stadium.  The venue for the play practically shares a parking lot with the stadium.  Blue and orange everywhere.  I could see a little disappointment in Richard's eyes.  Heck, even I was feeling a little disappointed. 

But every minute of the play was worth it.  (Well except those few minutes of innuendo that the director threw in.)   It exceeded my expectations.  I loved it.  Richard liked it too.  It was the fulfillment of a young girl's dream.  I could have gone back the next day and watched it all over again, hanging on every note, loving every character, tearing up in the Finale. 

Despite the fact that the play and the game ended nearly at the same time, we managed to make it home without hearing a score.  Interestingly, I was pretty sure BSU had won, but none of the fans were really acting like it. 

We got home, put on pajamas, popped popcorn and stayed up until 2am watching the most painful game ever. 

Let me be honest here and hopefully I don't get accused of being a fair-weather fan.  But the beauty of watching your two favorite teams play is this.  It's truly a win-win!  Whichever team wins makes me feel good.  But if you know me at all, you know that it also means feeling really sorry for the losing team. 

So technically it was a win for the Broncos.  But it was a win for the Cougars too, because it was the first time in over 20 years that BSU didn't score an offensive touchdown on the blue turf.  And that's no small thing. 

But, the fact is, it's just a football game.  And my head was still in the clouds from this...

Take my hand
And lead me to salvation
Take my love
For love is everlasting
And remember
The truth that once was spoken
To love another person
Is to see the face of God.

No comments: