happy birthday Beckett

March 14th marked one year since the birth of a sweet baby Beckett.  He didn't make it to his first birthday, and the last eight months since he left his family have made a mark on my heart.  Simon will celebrate his first birthday next week, and my heart is full of gratitude for him.

I wanted Beckett and his mom (who doesn't read my blog because we've never actually met, so I informed her otherwise- hence the pictures) to know we still think of him, and we live our lives differently around here because of him.  So I got a blue balloon for each of the kids and we took them to the cemetary where Beckett's body rests and sent them heavenward.  We watched them for a long time until we could no longer see them. Cameron was the only one who had any idea what was going on, but it was a tender moment for me. 


There are so many things I don't understand.  And it almost seems like expressing my gratitude that I still have all my children living here on earth with me is insensitive to those who don't, as if I'm saying "So sorry for you, but lucky for me!"

I just AM grateful and I pray frequently that I won't forget to be grateful.  And I pray that I can be aware of ways to show my gratitude through service toward those who do suffer, and through service to the little beings I feel so blessed to have in my home.  

4 comments:

Gordon & Julie Bird Blog said...

That's such a sweet example to your kids, Jo.

Brookie said...

this post made me cry. i am sure you touched his mothers heart when she saw these pictures. you are a good person. i love you, jo.

Laura said...

My Mom sent me a quote recently (it's actually by Winnie the Pooh) but it says "Sometimes the littlest things take up the most room in your heart." So true. Thanks for sharing Jo.

Scott said...

Jo, this is a moving post. The picture of Miriam with her arm outstretched and the balloons floating away is absolutely incredible. The spirits of all men, as soon as they are departed from this mortal body, are taken home to that God who gave them life. Thanks to God for the Gospel.