Pinterest- a justification post

My blog has gotten to the point where I am so overwhelmed by all the un-written posts that I've decided to temporarily ignore them.  I will return when I finish my annual new-year purging of my home.  Another Christmas blessed us but this house ain't gettin' any bigger. 

Today, inspired by my friend Krista, I'm writing a tribute to Pinterest. 

First I want to say, I pinned before pinning was cool.  I am so annoyed by people like me who insist on taking credit for something that was just a matter of chance and was not the result of any effort on my part.  But people like that, well we just can't help ourselves. 

Today I looked back through months of texts between Krista and I, until I came across the one where she introduced me to Pinterest.  Bless you Krista!  For those who are unfamiliar with Pinterest, it automatically hooks you up with all your Facebook friends.  In May when I began, I had only one friend besides Krista on Pinterest.  Today, 130 of my Facebook friends are on Pinterest. 

I'll admit, in the beginning I spent excessive amounts of time just perusing and pinning.  Pinning and perusing.  It wasn't until the last month or two that I've actually used my pins.  I made six Christmas gifts from ideas I found on Pinterest.  With help I planned a fun New Year's Eve for my kids and nieces and nephews inspired by Pinterest.  Yesterday I needed to know how to clean a mattress and I found it on Pinterest.  For many things I skip the Google search and go straight to Pinterest.  Halloween costumes, recipes, gift ideas. 

Pinterest is the most practical and productive of all social networking sites.  I don't use this phrase lightly, but I am truly grateful for it.

Gag! I know right?  Grateful for Pinterest?

Naturally, with most internet fads it has its drawbacks.  It can be a huge black hole for time.  And it is not censored so when you are first exploring and if you venture from your trusted follow-ees then you can stumble across crude or offensive pins. 

But as with most things, used correctly and with moderation I find it to be my favorite way to either pass time while I eat my sandwich or wait in the Dr. office and my favorite way to efficiently find practical solutions to daily tasks.  All right there literally at my fingertips. 

I recently read that "Pinterest’s user growth rate is what Facebook’s was five years ago. Earlier in 2011, it was valued through venture financing at $40m and, most recently, just a few months later, at around $200m."

Wow.  Thanks Paul, Ben and Evan for your brilliance that has made my life at the very least more convenient, and possibly more fulfilling.  I just love it.     

6 comments:

meredith c. said...

i still have to sign up... and an entire blog post dedicated to its excellence has inspired me to do so !

SarahAnne said...

It is a great resource. I particularly like it because I don't have scads of Bookmarks to sort through to try to find what I'm looking for, nor do I have to keep it all in my head. I have made lots of new recipes my family has enjoyed, I made Christmas gifts as well, and have taken something I've seen or pinned on there and used it as a jumping-off point for a couple of projects I've started and finished. It is a super-great idea. The trick IS moderation, though. :)

Joleen said...

LOVE it!! I too made many Christmas gifts, baby shower gifts and tried some great recipes!

Laura said...

It makes me feel like I can do crafts again...even with twins :)

Molly said...

Well hello there. :) I've been on Pinterest since March. Does that make me the winner? I have a love-hate relationship with Pinterest. I love the stuff I find. I hate that it's just a mean reminder of the fact that I don't have time to actually DO any of that stuff... :)

Angela said...

I've requested an invite 4 times using different emails and have several friends send invites, but alas, I have not been allowed into Pinterest yet.... dying to try it out!