a [nearly] perfect Saturday

Last Saturday life afforded us the rare kind of day that epitomizes middle-class suburban America.

We all slept in. Then we went for a late breakfast at IHOP. Almost everyone in the restaurant was wearing blue and orange. I love that feeling of community unity. The kids were even well-behaved and actually ate their food. We went to pick out a Christmas tree and it had snowed all morning so they were flocked and beautiful. We listened to Christmas songs. When we got home we sat down together and watched the BSU football game. After dinner we cleaned up the house and decorated the Christmas tree. Then Richard read "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" to the kids and I swear my heart grew three sizes as well.
I say nearly perfect because of course I didn't get any laundry done, the kids dragged their feet when it was time to clean, and Eli didn't eat any of his dinner. But it was completely satisfying in spite of it's imperfection.

2 comments:

Laura said...

That post warmed my heart Jo:) I love your family and love to hear about days like this one. I'm excited to see your tree!

Adrienne said...

Those are the kinds of Saturdays we never seem to have time for anymore...enjoy them for me!