weary

Today I am weary of the tantrums. I can't recall Cameron's "twos" being that terrible. In fact, Eli is currently passing through that allegedly terrible phase of life and while he has his moments this is a generally pleasant time. I enjoy this year of life, it seems that the with the development of language skills we can finally communicate.

But darn those language skills. I am thinking that the "Fearsome Fours" might be a more dreaded childhood stage. Now his language skills have blossomed into repetition of the phrases I use most when speaking to him. Today he said to me-

"Mom. I am not very happy with you."

And of course I am famous for the "If" and "then" sentences. For example-

"If you throw a fit then I am closing your door." (He has yet to master the childproof doorknobs, rendering him a prisoner to his own bedroom.)

So he has adopted the "If" and "then" threats for his own use, which I must admit at times are very comical.

"Mommy, if you don't let me have some minutes to play then we will not watch the Curious George movie." Really?

But today I am weary of my own discipline being used against me. And I am weary of screaming/crying/stomping feet.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think my life is hard. But Richard and I were discussing these discouraging moments the other day and we decided that while it is not good to dwell in them, it is okay to let them settle for a little while before picking yourself up and moving on.

So I am having a little pity moment right now, knowing full well that these tender years will pass all too quickly.

Thank you for indulging me.

7 comments:

Sara said...

I fully indulge this post. (I really don't know if I used that word right but hopefully you get the picture.)

Brandon and Natalie said...

Oh I am so happy to have read that post - wonderful :) Dillon does the exact same thing, only his favorite thing to scream is that I am not a good mommy and he wants a new one! Enjoy your pity party!!! Go eat some chocolate, indulge all you want. I'm a big fan of these parties, let it all out :)

Laura said...

Great insight Jo. I don't think you're dwelling at all. In fact, it seems as if you've recognized them and are kinda brushing them off by writing about them in a comical way. Thanks for the laugh with Cam's "If/then" statements. I love it!

Unknown said...

They think they are so grown up at that age. I feel your pain, seems some days I handle fits better than others. We are all entitled to pity moments.

Brock and Kristina said...

Oh my word...I've had these moments several times today....probably the roughest mom day I've had in months. While you were explaining the If/then statements, I had to dish one out to Taylee in the middle of it. Thanks for the reminder that these years will pass to quickly. I don't ever want to regret dwelling on the wrong things. I'm glad other mom's have these moments too. :)

Jaymie Quigley said...

Amen! Just vent and then let it go. I always have an ear for missing your husband.

Angela said...

I totally understand. Calin has been trying my patience for the last year. Maybe it so I won't be sad when he starts Kindergarten in the fall. It's okay to feel frustrated, we all do at times!