Lent

Painting by Carl Spitzweg, taken from Wikimedia Commons

Although I am LDS and my religion does not practice Lent the way other western Christian religions do, I believe in the principles it teaches. According to Wikipedia "The purpose of Lent is the preparation of the believer... through prayer, penitence, almsgiving and self-denial... for the annual commemoration of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. "


Before reading that, all I knew was that Lent involved the sacrifice of a personal vice. A Catholic friend of mine gives up coffee for 40 days, a true sacrifice for her. Two or three years ago I gave up chocolate for Lent. This year I decided to do it again, but I wanted to learn more about it.


In addition to my belief that practicing self-denial strengthens character I know that avoiding my chocolate habit will have positive health benefits and will reassure me that I am not addicted or dependent on it.


The 40 day journey is made tolerable in that Sundays are Feast days so the abstinence can be broken. (The 40 days from Ash Wednesday to the Saturday before Easter exclude all Sundays.)


Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent. I encourage anyone who wants to sacrifice in preparation for Easter celebrations to join me by eliminating your own vice. If not, while some Christians focus on sacrifice during Lent, many others focus on service or finding ways to come closer to Christ.


Hosanna, Hosanna.

11 comments:

Jaymie Quigley said...

That is an awesome idea. I love your brain (I mean that in a purely platonic way)!

Sara said...

K that sounds like a great idea. I don't know about the chocolate but I can figure something else out. I mean chocolate is my sanity on the sleepless nursing days ya know!

Anne said...

James and I did that one year when James' coworker dared him that he couldn't give up soda for that long. I joined in and gave up meat. It was hard but fulfilling. I'll join you in the sacrifice of chocolate!

Bunnell's said...

What a great challenge. I am going to do it!! Now just to pick one of my many faults...ummmm. I think it is good to reflect and try improve always. I miss you guys already so much. Kuna 3rd ward is one great ward.

Chandra said...

I had decided to do it also but I am going to give up all cookies, cakes, and candies. I have felt so blah since the holidays started and knew that my increased intake of junk food was the source. So here's to us and we can have "sweet" holiday on Easter!

MKB said...

I don't give anything up for lent BUT I do for my resolutions for the year and I think it is a great idea.

Last year I gave up fast food and now when I eat it I get sick. It's way too much grease for me.

This year I am CUTTING back not giving up completely on sweets I am having a horrible time with it. I have cut back but not as much as I want too.

Hopefully by the end of the year I can get to where I want to be...and not be thinking about sweets all the time.

Unknown said...

It is a great idea.. I think I should do the fast food thing like the comment before mine. I love it tooo much and need to feed my family better. Great post!

Unknown said...

I forgot to add. That my husband to lose weight goes on a "no sugar diet" He loses alot and it's amazing that's all it takes for him to cut.. But it's very hard on him and us the first little while then he stops craving it except when he see's a dessert and knows how yummy it is.

Gordon & Julie Bird Blog said...

I'll be sure and hide the chocolate when you come over:)

Michaelangelo said...

Great idea Jo. You always come up with the greatest things. Thanks for sharing.

Gibb Family said...

I am giving up soda. I did it for Lent on year and then continued it after the 40 days and it lasted a year. I think I will do it again. Thanks Jo!