ella is mi amiga

Do you remember that song from grade school (I can't believe I just called it grade school) that went something like this:

"Make new friends, but ke-eep the oh-old, one is silver and the other is gold."

I've been thinking about it a little bit lately. I've mentioned on here before about how keeping in touch with old friends is something I wish I did better at, because I value it. And you can ask Richard about how I feel about making new friends... he heard many a sob story during our first year or two in Kuna.

But I have had the opportunity these last few months to develop a friendship with a woman that has virtually nothing in common with me.

I met Virginia at a dental hygiene continuing education course a year or two ago. We sat together at a table for lunch. I found out she works for the SW District Health Department as their dental hygienist. (Okay so we did have the dental hygiene thing in common.) I told her that if she ever needed a volunteer to give me a call.

About four months ago she took me up on my offer and we have spent many hours together doing oral screenings of 3rd graders for a statewide survey.

This woman is one of the best examples of integrity I have encountered in my life. You know the little saying "Choose the Right"? Virg chooses the right in all the small little details of life. I don't mean to say she is a saint, she has weaknesses. But she just tries so hard without making it look hard.

Looking back on my relationship with Richard leading up to our engagement I can see clearly that I had the Lord's help guiding me into a good thing. I know that since I have met Virginia I have had the Lord's help guiding me into a good thing.

Because I'm far to narrowminded to have developed this on my own.

She makes me want to be a better person, and isn't that more important than if our kids are going through the same phases or our primary language is the same?

So I guess the lesson I learned here is that friendship comes from many different places. And I am sad for any opportunities I missed before I learned this lesson.

5 comments:

Gordon & Julie Bird Blog said...

What a great story, Jo. And what a great friend Virginia looks like.

Krista said...

I don't remember that song from grade school. Must have been before my time. Ha...

Anne said...

Definately before my time.

Laura said...

I remember that song, it must be an Idaho thing. :) Great post Jo, isn't it amazing the type of people you can meet in this world? My job has really opened my eyes to how many good people there are.

Brock and Kristina said...

Jo..you are such a good person. Thanks for all the good blog stories. I look up to you lots!